Thursday, June 22, 2006

Vintage Chocolate Chip Cookies

Okay, Here is our first try from my Victory Garden Recipes cookbook. These are made with honey because sugar was rationed in the WW2 era. I should have just stuck with the recipe but the batter looked a little thin so I added 1/4 cup flour. This was a fun way to teach a little history and get a taste of what life was like back then.
Chocolate Chip cookies
1/2 cup butter

1 small egg
1 cup honey
1 cup sifted flour 1tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vannilla
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup nut meat chopped
cream butter and honey until fluffy. Add egg and beat well. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt twice. Add flour mixture to butter mixture: then add vanilla and blend well fold in Chocolate Chips and nuts. Chill and drop by teaspoons on a greased cookie sheet. Bake 375degrees . for 12 min.
I modernized the recipe by mixing everything together in my food processor :) It makes about two dozen cookies. They taste a little different then toll house but still great. My family gives them five thumbs up!
On a healthy note, I finally huffed and puffed my way to a mile and a half run with DH tonight! Still can't keep up with him:)

No comments: