Thursday, August 24, 2006

Missing a friend



Last year I received a call from my husband. "Voni I'm On my way over to the grain elevator to meet Becka. Johns been in an accident. Pray" A half an hour later I picked up the phone to hear sobs on the other side of the phone. " He's gone." I met my husband at the in the hospital waiting room. A deacon and his wife were sitting there. My dear friend Becka sat there with her beautiful two teenage children. Shock and disbelief was thick like a fog in the room. I still think back and am amazed at the dignity that this precious woman met the news of her beloved husbands death. I'm still amazed at how she continues to lean on the Lord to be her comforter and strengh. What a Godly example she is to me.
Let me tell you about John. John was human . He came to know the Lord because he had been thrown into a brig while in the military. He later dedicated his life to God on the floor of a barn while listening to christian radio. A home school dad that loved His God first, his family second and the whole community third. He kept a prayer list in his Bible for everyone. Was he FUNNY! During VBS he kept everyone in stitches with his specail charicters he did for the kids. John did Bible studies with his son at the local cafe and his daughter was his princes. He was our Awanas leader, a deacon, sang with the music team, sunday school teacher, a helper, and encourager to those in church. He was my husbands, pastor John, , supporter and friend. A legacy was left to us all, an example of how God can use ordinary lives for His glory.
A year later, We still truly miss our dear friend. God has used his life to prompt others to step up and fill in the huge gaps that his going home has left. Some of these gaps will probably never be totally filled.
One thing that John shared with Pastor John the week before he went home, was that the older he got the more that God was teaching him to be gracouse and allow God to work in other people. A wise thing to share from a man with deep convictions.
We can only imagine what it must be like for John to be at the feet of the Almighty worshipping. But I suspect its pure Joy:)
2 Timothy 2:15, “Be diligent to present yourselves approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, handling accurately the Word of truth.” This verse really challenged John to study God’s Word diligently and share it with others.

“And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. I write these things to you who believe in the Name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.” I John 11-13

3 comments:

Looney Mom™ said...

Wow. I can't imagine how I would handle that. He was so young still. It just doesn't seem fair, but God knows what He's doing. It doesn't matter if we understand it. We just have to trust Him.

HopiQ said...

"Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints." Psalm 116:15
What you related of your friend John was beautiful and showed just how precious he was! It is glorious knowing that his death wasn't the end. Praise God!

rena said...

What a poignant and wonderful tribute to your missing friend...missing but alive in heaven!

Hope you have a great week. I'm going camping so won't be around. See you next weekend.